Keeper for the Day
We have our amazing Keeper For The Day experience which runs Tuesday to Thursday from the 1st of April to the 31st of August each year. This costs £175 for the Keeper and you can have an observer for an additional £25 (including lunch). There is an induction form which needs completing before the experience can go ahead.
• A chance to get up close and personal with some of our resident animals!
• Learn more about our rescue, rehabilitation and release of grey seals pups back into the wild.
• Learn what it’s like to work as a keeper at the sanctuary, cleaning enclosures, preparing fish, feeding and looking after our animals.
• Lunch and hot drinks will be provided, but you may bring your own if preferred.
• There will be lots of opportunities to take photos. You are more than welcome to bring a camera.
• You may bring one other person with you on the day to take photos (the observer); however they will not be able to feed or enter enclosures.
An example of your day with us: (This is a guide, and may be subject to change. However our staff will ensure you have a great day!)
Please arrive at the main reception. A member of staff will be there to greet you and take you to out seal hospital.
9am – Seal Hospital Tour & Induction
Please bring your signed declaration and medical form with you, a member of staff will make sure you are happy with the all the information, and answer any questions you may have about your day. Have a tour around our seal hospital facilities and learn more about how we care for injured or abandoned seal pups. (Please note: we cannot guarantee there will be rescued pups in the hospital at the time of your visit, but our busiest times are Sept - April).
9.30am - Head to the Paddocks!
Help give our goats some treats and clean their paddock area before learning about some of the native wildlife at the sanctuary.
10am – Beaver Tour
Help the animal care team with their daily checks and learn more our resident beavers at beaver creek! Our beavers are wild, and live in a large woodland enclosure, seeing them cannot be guaranteed.
10.30am— Break Time
Relax with the team with a well-earned break, and your choice of tea/coffee on us.
11.00am— Feeding Time
Help feed some of our resident seals and sea lion!
12.00am—Meet our Penguins
Get up close and personal with our penguins and give them their lunch!
12.30pm– Enrichment time!
Seals love new toys and things to play with! Help our Animal Care Team with the very important job of giving our seals and sea lions their daily enrichment.
After your hard work, enjoy lunch on us in our sanctuary cafe, and have a chance to explore and the sanctuary at you own pace.
Please note, participates must be 18 and older to participate in this experience. However, we do also offer a Junior Keeper For The Day (14 and over). All keepers must have received a tetanus vaccine within the last ten years.
If you have any questions, or would like to book the experience please do not hesitate to contact us on 01326 221 361.